Monday, August 31

Old is Gold

Today when I was returning from college I saw an old man with a big smile on his face driving his red 800 car

. I examined him for about a minute. He was in jolly mood, smiling and driving not looking at me. I asked myself when did I last saw an old man smile. I answered myself that I saw my grandpa smile when my bhaiya (placed in Infosys) transferred his first salary to his account. It was 2 years back. Also in our colony everyday 5-6 old people meet in my one of my padosi’s room and they play cards,talk, enjoy and feel rejoiced. Also whenever my maternal grandpa sees my face he has a big smile on his facade irrespective of how much angry he had been the last minute. Coming back to Mr. Red 800, I wondered what could have been the reason for his smile. Maybe he has been coming from one of his friend’s house, or he has met some distant relative/friend whom he had been trying to meet from a long time. Or maybe he has helped someone in trouble through his past experience or maybe he’s quietly meeting his gf in an extramarital affair. Or maybe he was going for a picnic or may be because of cool windy weather this evening.
Whatever may have been the reason the thing to be pondered is the present situation of old people in our country. Our country is known for its moral values, tradition and respect for elders. But the latter seems to be fading like an evening sun. I asked myself when was the last time I made an oldie smile. I could barely recall some 2 or 3 indcidents. In the past few years there has been a manifold increase in old age houses or extra innings houses(as referred to it in Munnabhai Mbbs). The increasing violence in joint families and fast paced development of nuclear families in urban areas has added to their significance. What to say, the conditions of these houses are also not good. And why should it be. Who cares?? Nobody. These people have to take care of themselves. What we youngsters do each day, we play, we party and we are mast in our lives. We tend to forget that what we are today is because of sacrifices made by or older generation. They taught us to walk, to speak, to dream. They had always given us what we wanted. Now its our turn to give them their share, to pay off. Let us take a pledge together that we will make smile and do good for every such person we see in need. Instead of enjoying our birthdays in discos and frittering with friends lets pledge to visit at least one old age house that day to take their blessings and help them with their work. After all we will also be old one day. ARE YOU WITH ME GUYS???

No comments: